Do you have an unusually difficult time getting along with your partner? Like they just don't get you? Do you find more often than not that you are more involved in trying to appease your partner than enjoy them?
In this segment I am going to ask you some questions that I think are worth considering for the redirection and development of a healthy relationship. They require your honesty. If you can relate to these kinds of experiences in your relationship then more importantly, what can you do to make your experiences better? First things first, let's start with the questions...
1. Is your partner overly jealous?
2. Is your partner possessive?
3. Does your partner try to control your resources (money, transportation, access to phones)?
4. Does your partner try to control where you go?
5. Does your partner try to control who you talk too?
6. Does your partner try to monitor your conversations? (continued - )
(Is your relationship abusive..continued)
7. Does your partner hit, belittle, or humiliate you for saying things they don't agree with?
8. Does your partner argue with you because you don't believe the way they do?
9. Does your partner blame you for circumstances that are beyond your control?
10. Does your partner put pressure on you for sex?
11. Does your partner use alcohol excessively?
12. Is your partner using drugs and clearly you can see a difference in them when they are using?
13. Does your partner say you are the reason for them acting the way the do?
14. Were past relationships as bad or worse in your or your partners relationship history?
15. Do you isolate from your friends or family because of him/her?
16. Does your partner make jokes that embarrass, humiliate, or shame you?
17. Are you afraid that they will hurt you if you leave them?
18. Does your partner have an explosive temper when you disagree with them or things don't go their way?
19. Have your friends warned you to leave?
20. Do you have physical fights in front of your children, friends, neighbors, family members, in private?
21. Have police been called in to control an event between the two of you?
If you answered yes to any of the questions listed above, perhaps you can benefit from professional relationship counseling services that may help you to resolve your challenges.
Do you want more from your relationship experiences? Call (405)-748-0091.
Calvin L. Smith, MA, LPC
Calvin is a licensed Christian Counselor. He received his first masters degree in Christian Counseling from Oral Roberts University.
How to be a Gentleman.